Community Councils.

Community Councils are unique, statutory bodies that cover self-defined communities and are independent of other democratic institutions, like Local Authorities.

The insurance needs of Community Councils vary from district to district, but they have one thing in common: they all have basic insurance needs, be it in the form of Public Liability, Libel & Slander/ Defamation, Employers Liability* and potentially Personal Accident.

Some Community Councils may have wider insurance needs if they acquire property and equipment or if they organise events such as Gala Days or occasions such as the switching-on of Christmas Lights.  There are package policies available to cover just the basic risks, but they tend to be inflexible when it comes to adding additional risks.

*Many may feel that Employer’s Liability doesn’t apply to them as Community Councillors are elected volunteers. Though no money is being paid, Councillors are carrying out “the will” of the Council and a court might decide that there was effectively a “Contract of Service”, and an injured councillor would be entitled to the same protection as an employee. This cover is included as standard within the basic package.

Keegan & Pennykid’s Encompass Insurance Policy has the flexibility to be able to deal with most situations so that additional covers don’t necessarily require the issue of an extra policy, which saves both time and additional costs.

For further information and advice about Insurance for your Community Council or to get a quote, please call us on:

0131 225 6005

“We have worked with Keegan & Pennykid for 10 years. They have always been responsive and helpful when we’ve required advice and additions to our policies.”

Ian Leaver,

Chief Officer,
Fort Augustus and Glenmoriston Community Company and Fort Augustus Village Hall

You may also be interested in:

Liability Insurance (including Employers and Public)
Event Insurance
Property Insurance